“No one dies of nausea, but it can seriously sap the will to live”
Like what Yann Martel said in his most famous book “Life of Pi”, there’s nothing worse than feeling nauseous. Nausea is the dominant cause of ruining a good time. It’s enough to make anyone drag into bed all day long!
However, this isn’t always possible because there are lots of ways out there to help relieve nausea. One of the common options that is worth thinking about is the use of essential oils. Below are some tips you should know before deciding to apply these powerful essential oils for nausea relief.
Let’s begin with some detailed information on the causes of nausea and some preventative measures.
What is nausea?
Nausea is a term that indicates the feeling that you are about to vomit. It is an unpleasant although usually painless symptom that may accompany many diseases and conditions. Since almost all of us may experience it at some time, nausea can be considered as one of the most common problems in medicine.
What causes nausea?
Obviously knowing the triggers of nausea is helpful in treating it. These are 3 main causes that may lead to nausea:
- Nausea is typically caused by problems in 3 parts of the body.
- Abdominal illnesses: Nausea is common with indigestion after eating, a blocked or stretched intestine or stomach, gastroesophageal reflux (GERD), stomach irritation, inflammation of the kidney or liver…
- Brain disorders: Many conditions related to the brain have nausea as one of their many symptoms, including head injury, migraine headaches, brain tumors, stroke, bleeding into or around the brain…
- Inner-ear problems: Nausea can be related to vertigo, a sensation of things moving around you. The most common condition is motion sickness (such as train sickness, car sickness, sea sickness).
- Nausea is a common side effect of some changes in body chemical
- Nausea can happen during the first few months of pregnancy (morning sickness), or after using birth control pills.
- Taking medicine commonly causes nausea as a side effect.
- Nausea is common with alcohol use, food allergies, and food poisoning.
- Patients may experience nausea while recovering from surgery.
- Nausea can be induced by several psychological factors, including.
- Eating disorder (Anorexia nervosa)
- Social anxiety disorder
- Generalized anxiety disorder
*Some people may feel nauseous just by seeing somebody else vomiting.
*Essential oils for nausea relief
Why essential oils?
An essential oil is a liquid that is extracted from the leaves, stems, barks, flowers, or root of plants. These oils are used for various purposes, especially medical ones.
- You can get relief from nausea safely without the risk of many side effects caused by other manufactured drugs. Therefore, essential oils can be the ideal choice for kids.
- They are at more affordable prices in comparison with other over-the-counter treatments. A couple of drops is enough to solve the problem.
- Apart from relieving for nausea, they can help relax your mind, give you a sound sleep, and increase your energy.
Choose the right oils
Below are top 4 highly suggested options among the most popular essential oils for easing the symptoms of nausea:
Great benefits of lemon oil include anti-nausea properties and natural stress relief. Inhalation lemon essential oil helped reduce nausea and vomiting, especially during pregnancy.
Ginger is considered the most widely-known herbal medication for relieving pain. Ginger oil comes from the ginger root. It is valued for soothing and warming qualities. The most popular use of ginger oil is relieving any kind of digestive issues, such as nausea, indigestion, gas, and morning sickness.
*You can also eat fresh and dried ginger, slice it to brew tea or make it into juice.
A cooling sensation and a calming effect are what peppermint oil gives to your body. It can help reduce aches in your stomach, soothe digestive problems, alleviate nausea, and even freshen your breath.
Along with peppermint oil, lavender is probably one of the most versatile essential oils available. It stimulates the mobility of food in your body, supports normal sleep, eases tension and stress leading to anxiety nausea.
Best methods of using essential oils for nausea
Because you’re feeling woozy, not all of the methods are suitable for you. So, carefully choose which way does you good and makes you comfortable when using. Or you can try these following options:
- Basic inhalation: Add 2-4 drops of essential oil on a tissue. Place the tissue under your nose and inhale.
- Steam inhalation: Fill a bowl with boiling water. Add 3-7 drops of oil. Lean over the bowl and breathe in deeply. If you are aware of any irritation, stop urgently. Using a towel to cover your head is suggested.
*You can also use this method when having congestion, colds, and problems relating to the chest.
The diffusers help release the scent of oil into your house. There are a variety of diffusers, each works differently. For nausea, mist diffusers and fan diffusers are best suitable for your condition. Follow the direction of each diffuser for the best result, don’t forget to add a few drops to it.
Add about 20 drops of essential oil per ounce of carrier oil you use onto yourself. Keep away from eyes areas. Do not apply oils to the skin without diluting.
Note: Because not all 4 kinds of essential oils displayed above are suitable for these methods. So this table will help you choose the best way of using each oil to ease your nausea symptom:
|Basic Inhalation||Steam inhalation||Massage||Diffuser|
*Each product you buy will have the detailed instruction on it. If not, following this table will bring you the best results.
Tips for you
- Mixing different essential oils together is also an interesting choice because it’s all based on your preference. You can look for the recipes, ratios, and the guidelines to make the smell you like on the internet, in some books, or in the shops.
- Perfume oils is not similar to essential oils so do not buy them.
*Self-care tips for nausea
Nausea usually is a temporary symptom that will wear off by itself. So besides using essential oils, these following tips may also help you feel better:
- Eat many small meals per day instead of three large ones.
- Avoid hard-digested food (including spicy, fatty, and very hot or very cold foods)
- Do not lay down after eating. If you have to do that, keep your head higher than your body.
- Fresh and cool air can help ease symptoms of nausea.
- Taking some rest will help alleviate stress, anxiety, and strain, which can lead to nausea.
- See your doctor if you have more symptoms besides nausea.
Each product may take effect differently on different people. So if you have ever used essential oils for nausea relief, please share your experience with other people. That can be very helpful!
Hope all of you can find the information useful for your nausea condition with the tips and ideas used in this guide. Thanks for reading!