I am sure most of you would have heard about mineral makeup, and the gorgeous look it can give you. For those of you who haven’t, mineral makeup consists of natural minerals that have been ground, sterilized and pulverized into very fine powder, and mixed with other materials so that they can be applied as makeup.
Mineral makeup is available as foundation, eye shadow, blush, and bronzer, which are made of loose and dry mineral powders. However, the lipsticks come with preservatives, and compressed makeup contains binders.
Mineral makeup usually consists of zinc oxide and titanium oxide, both of which reflect sunlight and act as good physical sunscreens. Other components of mineral makeup include mica, iron oxide and tin oxide, which may not be suitable for people with sensitive skin.
As mineral makeup does not contain preservatives, synthetic fragrances, mineral oils or dyes that are found in other cosmetics, dermatologists consider them to be purer and safer. :) Yippee!! However, talc is usually used as a filler in mineral cosmetics, and for those who are allergic to talc, this could pose a problem.
Why Choose Mineral Makeup over Regular Makeup?
All women who wear makeup use it to accentuate their natural beauty, but often find themselves having to deal with the side effects caused by cosmetics. People who have been using mineral makeup for several years find that it enhances their looks, both during and after applications, with reduced side effects and improved conditions of the skin.
Some benefits of using mineral makeup over regular makeup are listed below.
- Oil free and Non-comedogenic: These two benefits are the major reasons why women love using mineral makeup. It is oil-free and does not clog the pores, reducing the risk of acne and other skin disorders.
- Inorganic Compounds: Mineral makeup is made of inorganic compounds, making it free from bacteria and microbes that grow in makeup and get transferred to the skin.
- Long Shelf Life: The ingredients of the makeup do not need preservatives, and thereby give them a longer shelf life.
- Light in Weight: The makeup is completely made from minerals, making it very light compared to regular makeup that’s pasty and oily
- Sun Protection: Minerals like zinc oxide and titanium dioxide used in mineral makeup reflect both UVA and UVB rays and act as physical sunscreens.
- Sensitive skin: Mineral makeup has proved good for sensitive skin, except for those who are allergic to mica.
- Rosacea and Acne: Acne and Rosacea are seen to be less troublesome with repeated application or use of mineral-based cosmetics. Titanium dioxide and zinc oxide in mineral makeup have anti-inflammatory properties, which provide a soothing effect to the skin.
- Eco- Friendly: Even the earth rejoices when you use mineral makeup! As it doesn’t contain harsh chemicals and toxins, it’s considered to be eco-friendly.
- Plastic Surgery and Laser Treatments: Mineral makeup has gone a few steps forward and is now being used in post plastic surgery treatments as well. Mineral treatments with chemical peels, microdermabrasion, and laser resurfacing are used to cover the redness, bruising and also to soothe the skin.
The makeup we’ve been using over the years has at times resulted in skin problems. Some of us don’t mind dealing with skin allergies and rashes, as long as we can look perfect on an important occasion. It’s time to do away with your regular makeup as mineral makeup is the newest way to get that smashing look, without those troublesome side effects that follow. You should probably give mineral makeup a try, and tell us how it went. We would love to hear your thoughts, views and ideas that would help our other readers as well. Thank you for your time, have an amazing day!